Saturday, January 4, 2014

Stitching appears to be the hobby that stuck.

Of all the oddball ideas I've come up with in my life to keep me occupied for weeks, months, or years at a time, the only one that has actually produced something tangible to show for that time has been my cross stitching.  I suppose one could argue that the kids fall into this category, but since I can't just put that particular "hobby" down and walk away for years at a time claiming I'm in a funk without people with shiny bracelets showing up with extended reservations to their facilities... well, you get the idea.

I have been stitching for more than two decades now (ugh, I'm old!) though I didn't start keeping track of anything I was working on until 2000 when I put together an online journal of sorts on my website SapphireDreams (another "hobby" which is now horribly out of date and neglected).

Remember how I said I suffer from Startitis? Yeah...

Since the last time I posted anything here related to my stitching, I believe I've completed three projects and will hopefully be completing a fourth in the next couple of days.

I managed to finish this screen capture from the movie "It's a Wonderful Life".  The chart was released by a company called Pinoy Stitch and (as of 4 Jan 14) is available here.  This was a gift for our head pastor and I think he liked it.


The next project that was completed was for our other head pastor (who happens to be his wife) and quite honestly scared me to death at first. Specialty threads, beads, treasures... What in the blazes was I getting myself into?? But I must say, I'm fairly proud of the finished product: Mirabilia's Cinderella.  One of my favorite things about this one has to be the custom dyed linen I used. Sassy's Fabbys is my go-to company for fabric and when Lauren found out I was trying to get a particular look out of this, she took the time to experiment with colors until she found a unique dye we both fell in love with. She called the settled upon color "Dark Tropical Rain".



Of course, I couldn't resist stitching up a gag gift of sorts to go with the first two.  Pastor has a tendency to randomly strike a pose and quote Underdog during sermons, so Steve and I tracked down what we thought would be a good picture and had it charted out by a kind stitcher who offered his services. The fabric it is stitched on is actually a bright yellow, despite what the photo claims.


And I whipped these out in about a month each! Cuz I'm just that good!

*dodges an entire lightning storm*

Alright, ALRIGHT!! Uncle, already!

*pats out sizzling hairs*

So it may have taken a couple of years to get those finished.  What's your point? At least I got them done in a shorter period than it's taken to do this blasted wolf.

The infamous wolf that I started stitching September 6, 2009.  I really intended to have it completed by that Christmas.  Then I discovered that it used 3.9 million colors.  Or maybe it was 65 colors.  Close enough for government work. Add in enough confetti stitches to make the Super Bowl victory parade envious and I didn't stand a chance. But I was too stubborn to sit back and consider that I was about to start what most cross stitchers dub a BAP (Big A** Project).  What could possibly go wrong??

So now it's 2014.  More than four years since I started Mystic Stitch's Call of the Wild and I swear there's a light at the end of the tunnel!!

My goal is to have the last stitch put in by Monday.  Today is Saturday.

Anyone else suddenly hear thunderous laughter??

*mutter*

It's not my fault that stitching takes forever around here! I have furry speedbumps that materialize in the middle of my projects every time I sit down.  And if I'm lucky, they just snore and shed all over everything.

But usually, this is what happens...








Now that I truly understand what a time commitment BAPs are, as well as the constant booby traps provided by my cats, I have accepted that there are just some things I cannot expect to accomplish and move on.

My next project...
Night Moves by Heaven and Earth Designs

I'll see y'all in March...

...2028


*twitch*

No comments:

Post a Comment