Monday, August 1, 2011

Insert clever title here.

It's Monday.  Normally I'd pull a Garfield and glare out the window muttering sweet insults about the first day of the work week since I'm one of those clingy wives who absolutely hates having her husband gone, even if it's only for a typical workday.  But last week was nonstop running around, followed by a payday weekend with a ton of errands on Saturday and a particularly busy day at church on Sunday.

Today it's gonna take a crowbar and a wheelbarrow to get me off my backside.  Or maybe a couple loads of laundry.  *mutter*  But at least I don't have to leave the house. 

Yesterday was our church's Christmas in July celebration for soldiers who were deployed this past Christmas.  We were to dress as if it was a frigid winter night and after the gift giving, there was hot chocolate and cookies in the gymnasium.  I believe the high temperature yesterday was 97°, but on Christmas you have hot chocolate and cookies, so that's what we did.  I'm told it was a big success! 

I spent the evening in the kitchen unwrapping cookies and setting up hundreds of cups of hot cocoa while Heather and Hunter did their all out best to trip up Sarah, me, the lady I consider to be in charge of kitchen volunteer stuff, and the two gals that got ambushed when we discovered there were ALOT more people in attendance than we'd anticipated.

We managed to get the cookies and cocoa cups ready in time, if only with seconds to spare.  A few minutes later there was a panicked "We're out?  Really?!?"  Of course, the first thought that came to my head was that somehow my children had attacked and wiped out 1,000 cookies all by themselves in under 4 seconds when we weren't looking.  Then I realized that they were right behind me and innocent for a change, even if they were cranky for not getting such an opportunity.

So what could we possibly be out of that would cause chaos when all we're serving is cookies and hot cocoa?

You guessed it.  No hot water.  *twitch*  Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you feel like you've been basted in tangy BBQ sauce and dropped in the middle of a room full of half-starved wolves?

So we commandeered a couple more volunteers who found themselves running pitchers of scalding hot water from every coffeemaker in the building back to the kitchen where three of us were frantically pouring and stirring as fast as we could manage.  No worries!  We've got it all under control!!  No, really!  Why are you looking at me like that?

All in all, it was a fun evening that of course flew by because we were kept so busy for the entire duration.  But next year when we do this, I think we should scrap the hot cocoa idea.  Instead, we can have chocolate milkshakes made to look like mugs of hot cocoa.

Assuming I don't eat all the ice cream when no one else is looking......

No comments:

Post a Comment